Monday, August 4, 2014












August 1, 2014   

Today's Photograph . . . . It Only Takes One (GB)
Bible Study Verse
Luke 15:7
I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in Heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent. (NIV)

Thoughts
One of my true outdoor passions is surf fishing. Oddly enough, I live in Kentucky, so I only get to fish the surf twice a year during my family vacation. 

A few years ago, I experienced a horrible week of fishing at the beach. For the first couple of days, I only caught small fish or "junk" fish. Then bad weather moved in for four days. We had horrible wind and rain. So, I could not fish at all. It was a terribly disappointing week. 

Then, at last, the weather broke on our last day of vacation. I fished the entire day, but still there was no action. I finally gave up and started throwing my leftover bait to the birds. Suddenly, I saw my large cut-bait rig give a jerk and begin to rock forward in its tube. I grabbed the rod and pulled - a fish was on! I slowly started to work the fish. It was a big one and I was excited. 

A few minutes later, I landed a beautiful 32-inch, 12-pound redfish. It was the first redfish I'd ever caught. I was dancing and celebrating on the beach as I held that incredible fish! My daughter took pictures and shot video as I carefully weighed and measured the fish, then resuscitated and released it back into the sea. A replica mount of that fish now hangs on my study wall. It serves as a vivid reminder that it only takes one "catch" to change a really bad fishing trip into the fishing trip of a lifetime. 
(George B)

Action Point
Often, we can become very discouraged as we witness and share our faith - so few seem to be interested, and fewer still seem to respond. But it only takes one "catch", one soul who turns from death to life in Christ, to begin a heavenly celebration! So, keep fishing!

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Surf fishing is a fun, easy, inexpensive way for the outdoorsman to enjoy a trip to the beach. Before you fish, be sure to stop by the local bait and tackle shop to pick up a guide for fish identification and a copy of the saltwater regulations for that state. Most states have very detailed harvest regulations for each species. Follow them to the letter. If you have trouble identifying a fish, take a picture and release your catch.