Saturday, June 2, 2012












June 2, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . Hunting Is One Of Those Few Activities Which Allows Multiple Generations To Participate  (Michael T)
Bible Study Verses
For the Lord will not forsake His people; He will not abandon His heritage; for justice will return to the righteous, and all the upright in heart will follow it.  (ESV)

Thoughts
The six point buck walked into my shooting lane, offering himself up to me. But this day, I would pass on the opportunity and allow my son to reap the harvest of his first deer. His gun pivoted on cue and pointed in the direction of this young whitetail. The deer came closer and I whispered loudly, "Shoot"!  The blast from the twenty gauge shotgun echoed through the woods. 

Startled by the miss and the loud noise the buck jumped and then ran twenty yards closer to the rookie hunter.

It appeared he had a wide open shot and instead of whispering this time, I yelled, "Shoot him!" Zach didn't shoot, but left his gun trained on the buck. The deer took two steps at the sound of my voice. My twelve year old son with the patience of a veteran hunter waited for the deer to move out from behind two trees before he squeezed off the trigger and hit his target.

The injured deer took flight and my son's gun barrel followed him and then recoiled, as the blast of his third shot hobbled the deer even further. While waiting for the proper amount of time to transpire before tracking the deer, we left the woods and waited for grandpa to arrive. An hour later three generations took off in pursuit of the harvest. 
(Mike T)

Action Point
Most sports only allow for one generation playing at a time, but hunting is one of those few activities which allows multiple generations to participate together. I guess that is why I like hunting so much. My grandfather passed hunting down to his son and my father passed hunting down to my brother and I, and now it is our turn to hand it down to our sons. In my family, we have a long hunting heritage, but most importantly we have a strong Christian heritage.

What are you doing to pass on the precepts of God to your family? It's never too late to be open, honest, and real with the younger generations and model for them what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Don't let the selfishness of the hunt get in the way of spending time with your family. Hunt together, fish together, shoot sporting clay's together, or just sit around a campfire and tell the same hunting stories over and over again. In the off season plan a day to shop at the local outdoor store together and then go out to eat and share your life with your family. Be open, honest and real.