Tuesday, July 15, 2014

















July 14, 2014   

Today's Photograph . . . . Every Summer Tow Trucks Are Called To Get Various Forms Of Campers Unstuck From Smuggler's Notch (Dave M)
Bible Study Verses
Hebrews 12:1-2
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run  with perseverance the race marked out for us,  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (NIV)
 
Thoughts
A couple of years ago, we were camping in Vermont in an area known as Smuggler's Notch. It's the highest point in Vermont. There's a road that goes up and over the mountain, but right at the top, there are several huge boulders that have fallen right next to the road. Besides that, the road twists and turns right in the middle of this section of fallen boulders. 
 
We had our pop-up camper with us, and after we had spent some time there, we were trying to chart the fastest and easiest way back home to Michigan. In trying to figure out the route, we talked to the fella who owned and ran the campground we were staying at. His advice for us was to make sure that we didn't try to go up and over the mountain and Smuggler's Notch. It was better to backtrack and go around that section of the mountain, because with the camper on the back of our Yukon, he was concerned that we would get stuck between the boulders on top of the mountain. 
 
He jokingly told us that every summer tow trucks were called to get various forms of campers unstuck from Smuggler's Notch.
(Dave M)

Action Point
The older I've gotten, the more complicated life has seemingly gotten - especially with the relationships that I have with folks. It just seems that many people want to attach strings to relationships for their personal benefit, rather than simply just having a friendship. 
 
As I try to live out my faith in the midst of this, there have been moments where I have felt "stuck". Trying to navigate my faith in Christ and how that fleshes out in my public sphere of influence is not always easy, but there are two things that I keep going back to: 
  • God's word often tells me how to navigate the curves in life before I ever get there. He often warns me of what the consequences of my decisions could be before I make a final decision. I simply need to listen and do what He asks. 
  • If I mess up and try "to go it alone" through the notch even though I've already been warned, He is always there for me in the middle of it. 
Let me encourage you to simply do things God's way. It might be the hard thing to do at the time, but consider the long term and not just the short term satisfaction you may have or feel. God desires health for us, and His view of this life is in the scope of eternity, not just the temporary situation we have gotten ourselves into. You don't have to be stuck - turn to God and don't fight Him on things!
 
Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Before going on a long trip with your camper, make sure you have done your prep work. Check the brakes, make sure things are greased, check the air in your tires, check your spare. The longer the trip you are going on, the more taxing the trip is on your camper.