Monday, November 4, 2013













November 3, 2013   

Today's Photograph . . . . He Shot At A Bird On Our Side And Hit Me . . .  (MQ)
Bible Study Verse
Romans 8:28 
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. (NIV)
 
Thoughts
A friend, Brian, my two sons, and I were hunting pheasant in southwest Minnesota when we spotted several roosters in a tree line next to an old abandoned homestead. We came up with a plan to hunt these wily birds. Brian, and my older son would walk the outside of the tree line and shoot birds on their side. My other son and I would shoot the birds on our side. 

Unfortunately, Brian didn't follow the plan. He shot at a bird on our side and hit me with approximately 20 pellets. The stock on my new Beretta o/u was splintered. Fortunately, I was not seriously injured. 

Prior to our hunting trip, Brian was going through some tough times. After this accident, he was feeling much worse. While I was healing, Brian spent quite a bit of time visiting me. This time together enabled me to talk to him about Jesus, pray with him, and help him through the difficulties. 

Hunter safety groups later asked me to speak about gun safety to youth. I related the story of this accident to them. After hearing it and feeling the BB's in my skin, I had their attention.
(Tom L)

Action Point
This was a minor accident compared to that of Joni Erickson Tada's, whose accident left her a quadriplegic, and to others who have lost loved ones. You know how the Lord has used these people to help comfort others, and gives them opportunities to share Christ. 
 
When tragedies or persecution occurs, think of Paul's words in II Corinthians 12:10, "That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong," (NIV).  Romans 8:26 encourages us with these words, "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans," (NIV).

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day 
Wear safety glasses and blaze orange from the waist up when upland bird hunting. Make sure that the hunters stay in a line and establish rules regarding shooting lanes.