Saturday, September 29, 2012












September 29, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . Bragging Rights    (Tom B)
Bible Study Verse
Luke 5:14  
Then Jesus ordered him, "Don't tell anyone, but go, show yourself to the priest and offer the sacrifices that Moses commanded for your cleansing, as a testimony to them." (NIV)

Thoughts
I received the following email from one of the fishing guides I stay in touch with.

"Today I had some buddies out for a relaxing time fishing. I told the guys that we needed 25 fish, and that number 25 would also be number 7,000 for the year from my boat." The guide I am quoting is a crappie and catfish guide.

"I told Ronny to let me know when we caught number 24, so I could quit fishing and get a picture of who ever caught number 7,000. Well, it did not happen the way I had planned. Howard hooked into a fish and he put it in the boat, making that one 24. So, just as I go to reel my line in, BAM, guess who has number 7,000 on their line? Yep-it's me. The only picture taken today was of me holding fish number 7,000 for the year."

In Luke 5:14 Jesus healed a man with leprosy. His instructions, "Don't tell anyone..." goes against the grain of human nature. When something great happens we want to tell someone about it. When you bag number 7,000 for the year, right at the top of your to-do list is to brag about the accomplishment.

Why didn't Jesus want the news of the healing to get out? Wouldn't the healing be a great testimony of his power, his relationship with God?
(Tom B)

Action Point
I don't think Jesus wants to draw people to Him just because He can heal the sick. He wants people to recognize that He is the Son of God, that He forgives people of their sins. He healed physical sicknesses, raised people from the dead because of His compassion for them.

Is it wrong to brag about your successes afloat or afield?

Certainly not. It becomes wrong if success gives us an inflated ego-pride. In the email above, the guide was expecting one of the other anglers to boat number 7,000. It didn't matter to him who caught the fish. He probably would have been happier if one of the other anglers caught it.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
A measure of success for a fishing guide is not how great the number of pictures on his or her website. Find out how long they have been guiding. What's their staying power? Repeat business is a better indication of how good they are in their business rather than pictures of their catches.