Sunday, October 16, 2011












October 16, 2011  

Today's Photograph . . . . Elk (MQ)
Bible Study Verses
Galatians 5:19-21
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. (NIV)
  
Thoughts
About 25 years ago (that really makes me feel old) my Dad, our friend Dan, and I were hunting elk hunt in northern Arizona.  We returned to camp really late one particular night and my dad volunteered to make us a quick dinner of canned corned beef hash and eggs. 
  
He breaks out a can and jokes how it's so old he doesn't know how long he's had it and proceeds to whip up a quick dinner.  That night I was sound asleep when I woke myself up mid-vomit (graphic-sorry!). I continued this uncontrollably all over the floor of the tent when I heard Dan outside, "You too, huh?' he said. 
  
We had food poisoning.  Turns out that can of corned beef was pure poison! My Dad said, "Huh, maybe I should have thrown that can away!"
(Ruben C)
  
Action Point
Although not "obviously" apparent, that can of corned beef was obviously bad.  If we had noticed the can was "bloated" or leaking, do you think we would have used it?  No way!  Left untreated food poisoning can kill you.
  
Sin is like that. Yet, why would any of us deliberately return to sin knowing that? "I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish,"  Luke 13:3 (NIV). We would never drink milk if it smelled sour, would we?  By its offensive smell, you know it's probably bad. 
  
Again, sin is like that too; our conscious will scream at us, "Don't do it!"  That's what that little voice is incidentally.  God put it there to warn us. We just need to listen to it when it does.
  
Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Canned and freeze died foods can be pretty handy on camping trips.  Everything is dated these days so pay attention to the obvious:  expiration dates, bloated or leaking cans, missing can labels, freeze dried packaging that is no longer vacuum sealed, or no longer air tight. When in question, throw it away.  It's not worth ruining a trip. 
  
Oh yeah, and if you get sick, drink lots of water.  Hydration is key to a quicker recovery.