Tuesday, December 6, 2011












December 6, 2011  

Today's Photograph . . . .  Magnificent Beauty (NPS) 
Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 13:10
Where there is strife, there is pride, but wisdom is found in those who take advice. (NIV)

Thoughts
Several years ago, a friend and I were on an archery elk hunt in northern Arizona. On the afternoon of the third day of the hunt, after about a half-mile walk, my friend and I arrived at our waterhole where we had set up our tree stands over a week prior.

We had sat in them the previous two days. But on this day we found a jeep parked in plain view and two hunters sitting in hastily erected ground blinds, one of them under my tree! My friend confronted them. Low voices soon became a loud argument about first-come, first-served ethics.

It became apparent to me that the situation was about to get out of hand, so I quickly pulled my friend aside to discuss it. I told him to let me try to reason with them. After a few minutes of sharing about our tree stands, which they had not seen (That was the idea!); they submitted to reason and quietly left the area.

The very next day that same water hole produced my first six-point bull!
(Ruben C)

Action Point
As Christians, we have the responsibility to act on the better part of reason, no matter what the circumstances; not only when we are around people we know, but ALL the time. It's not about being right, it's about being righteous.

Remember: quarrels solve nothing, but breed animosity. Always take the high road. No favorite hunting or fishing spot is worth the risk of a fight or worse.

I Peter 2:23 reflects our example, "When they hurled their insults at him, He did not retaliate; when He suffered, He made no threats. Instead, He entrusted Himself to Him Who judges justly," (NIV).  It can sometimes be difficult, but we're to follow Jesus' example even when in the field.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
When setting up your tree stand, always make sure you have your name and contact information permanently inscribed on it. It can alleviate a lot of heartache and misunderstanding down the road.