Monday, December 10, 2012














December 10, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . Strive For Full Restoration, Encourage One Another, Be Of One Mind, Live In Peace   (Tom B)
Bible Study Verse
Isaiah 11:6 
The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little Child will lead them. (NIV)

Thoughts
When I first started learning how to fish for largemouth bass, I was always checking out the latest TV show on bass fishing and always getting my hands on all the magazines I could find devoted to bass fishing. I still keep my subscription current to Bassmaster Magazine. If there was a bass fishing seminar coming to town, and no conflict on dates, I would be sending in my registration and payment.

Later, as my journalistic career began to blossom, the Lord blessed me with being able to fish alongside with some of the top names in bass fishing. Bass fishing and I were becoming one.

I specifically remember one time at the Bassmaster Classic in Richmond, Virginia. I was a press observer with Rick Clunn, fishing the James River.  On practice days, the observer is allowed to fish. During the tournament, the observer did not fish. This was a practice day and Clunn was looking for bass and  casting a crankbait up into the cypress roots of the big cypress trees that lined the river. 

Mind you, he never once snagged a root; I did. Without trying to disturb his rhythm, I had the choice to either cut the lure off, or give it a good hard jerk and maybe it would come free. I chose the hard jerk, and it did come loose, flying across the water striking Clunn on his back.

The picture flashed through mind . . . Clunn with my imbedded lure in his back. Was he hurt, would he have to go back to the launch site and miss a day of practice, would he become justifiably angry, or would I have to walk back up the river to the launch ramp? I could just see me being really united in bass fishing with a fishing legend, only the wrong way!!!

Thank the Lord he wasn't hooked by one of the treble hooks dangling from the lure. Actually, he never missed a cast/retrieve beat, never said a thing. Just kept fishing like nothing happened. However, I retrieved the errant lure, put the rod down, and spent the rest of the day observing him work his magic.
(Tom B)

Action Point
So in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others," Romans 12:5 (NIV). But, not like Clunn and I, almost becoming connected.

"Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: 'All nations will be blessed through you.' " Galatians 3:28 (NIV).

"I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought," I Corinthians 1:10 (NIV).

Wouldn't it be great if everyone could shed their differences and be one in Christ. Isaiah 11:6 promises that will happen one day, "The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little Child will lead them," (NIV).

This Christmas,  "Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you." II Corinthians 13:11 (NIV).

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
In the part of the country where I live, December can have some pretty nice weather. While the kids are on Christmas break, and many adults have time off at work, grab the fishing tackle and head out to the lake, river, or beach and enjoy being together, and possibly catching some great fish . . . Merry Christmas!