Thursday, December 6, 2012














December 5, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . We Are Building Relationships, Creating Memories, and Living Life Together (MQ) 
Bible Study Verse
Isaiah 55:11
So is My Word that goes out from My mouth:  it will not return to Me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. (NIV)

Thoughts
An important aspect of being an outdoorsman is passing along the traditions of our sports to our kids . . . duck hunting, whitetail hunting, elk hunting, moose hunting, fishing, and   backpacking. Whatever the pastime, it's vital for parents and kids to do these activities together. 

This fall, I've had a real blessing among the many conversations I've had with folks about whitetail hunting. A natural question where I live is, "Well, have you gotten anything yet?" This gun season, I've found my answer changing from past years. My kids are at ages where they are able to hunt, but they need some direction, help, or mentoring. 

In Michigan, our gun season for whitetails lasts two weeks. As our season wrapped up last night, I hunted by myself a grand total of: twice. Virtually every hunt I was involved in, I actually was just sitting alongside one of my kids helping them with the nuances of hunting. 

BUT, here's where the blessing comes in . . . many of the guys I've spoken with this Fall have had the exact same situation. They've been out in the woods with their daughters/sons or grandkids just sitting in a blind, TEACHING!!!  

Each time I heard someone give me this response, my heart just warmed to hear their answer. Most conversations ended with a memory that was made with their kids, whether they got a deer or not.
(Dave M)

Action Point
This kindness and generosity from parents or grandparents to their kids represents to me exactly what we are supposed to be doing. We are building relationships, creating memories, and living life together. 

In the middle of this, we have abundant opportunities to share our faith through the various aspects of creation we witness. What a blessing to be able to share our passion for the outdoors and our faith in the Creator, God, of it all!!!  

Keep on mentoring these kids!!! It will bear fruit!!!! Not only in the field, but in the hearts of those involved!!!!!

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Keep your hunting clothes in rubber/plastic containers with a lid on when not hunting to keep the scents away from what you are going to wear outdoors.