Tuesday, August 27, 2013
















August 25, 2013   

Today's Photograph . . . . Nothing Should Ever Overcome The Responsibility That We Have To . . . .
(Mike T) 
Bible Study Verses
Matthew 6:14-15
For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.  (ESV)

Thoughts 
It was opening day of bow season, October 1, 1993. I was 24 years old and excited about having time off to hunt whitetail deer. The leaves were still in their place providing excellent cover for both the hunter and his prey. A light, but cool breeze combined with a mixture of sun and clouds made for a perfect Michigan day.
I climbed into an old wooden and abandoned tree-stand, built more than twenty years ago, and not more than 10 feet off of the ground. I wouldn't complain though, as I was just happy to be in the air and glad that it held my weight. 

The first hour went by quickly and without any action it was time to stand and stretch. Looking to the east, I saw what I came for, an 8 pointer striding in my direction. He wasn't a monster, but he was still a shooter. I readied myself and as if on cue, the young buck trotted into bow range and stopped approximately thirty yards away. I had only a small opening to shoot through, as the fall foliage was thick. 

The bow vibrated, as I released the bow string pushing the arrow with deadly force towards my unsuspecting target. A direct hit caused the buck to hunch over, as he bolted through the brush and ground cover. I would find him fifty yards away, breathing his last, as I cautiously approached.  
(Mike T)
Action Point
The story doesn't end there. I only had time to hunt in the morning, as a playoff softball game awaited me in the evening and we had a long drive ahead of us. If I left right away and if I hurried, I would have just enough time to get ready for the game. However, as life goes, we ran out of gas, causing us to arrive, just as the game was starting. I was the head coach, so I quickly had to set the line-up, pay the ump, and run on to the field. And then all of a sudden one of my players began yelling and shouting at me about playing time. He totally caught me off guard. The situation quickly escalated into a yelling match between the two of us, as my adrenaline was already running high from an awesome hunt, the stress of running out of gas, and the pressure and excitement of trying to get to the game on time.
We would later work things out, but I will never forget this opening day hunt, as it was filled with such raw emotion from the beginning to the end. Nonetheless, it serves as a reminder that as Christians we need to control our emotions and realize that the earthly things we believe to be so important are really just fleeting events. 

Nothing should ever overcome the responsibility that we have to love each other, forgive others, and ultimately serve our King. Not even a great opening day.
Sportsman's Tip of the Day
After hearing about many hunters getting seriously hurt falling from tree-stands, I do not recommend climbing into old abandoned homemade hunting structures. It's not worth it. Always wear a safety harness and spend the money needed to get the latest and greatest tree-stand and safety harness. Your family will love you for it.