Sunday, February 19, 2012











February 19, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . Elk (NPS)
Bible Study Verse
Psalms 43:3-4
Send out Your light and Your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to Your holy hill
and to Your dwelling! Then I will go to the altar of God, to God my exceeding Joy, and I will praise You with the lyre, O God, my God.  (ESV)

Thoughts
At age twenty, I had the privilege of bow hunting for elk in the Colorado Rockies. After shooting a 4x5 rag-horn elk, I found myself lost and wandering in the wilderness. It was early evening and darkness began settling in. My only light source was a very small hand held flashlight. Trekking through the steep and difficult terrain would be difficult. If that wasn't enough, another challenge shadowed me when my light began to dim. 

Hiking for hours had drained its power and it was only moments from being extinguished forever. Tired and worn out, I stood at the bottom of a deep and dark valley,, faced with an extremely difficult climb. Three quarters of the way up the steep incline, my light died as well as my spirit. Lost and alone, I broke down and prayed. 

I would spend the night out in the mountains, but not without God answering my prayers. After composing myself, I felt it was important to get to at least the top of the hill before hunkering down for the night. Upon cresting the ridge, the moon illuminated a field of golden heather and a two-track trail. I was able to travel the rest of the way with a light unto my feet.  
(Michael T)

Action Point
Many times in life we find ourselves lost in a dark world without a light. Sometimes it is the blackness of our souls or the darkness of this world that extinguishes our light. We attempt to draw upon our own resources in hopes of meeting our own needs, but find the illuminating power to be weak or fading away.  

Put your focus on the Light of this world, Jesus Christ, and let His light and truth lead you.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
 Instead of using a regular hand held flashlight on your next adventure, invest in a hands free, lightweight, and space saving headlamp. You can buy affordable lightweight headlamps at any store. This will illuminate the possibilities the next time adventure finds you in the dark.