Friday, February 24, 2012









February 24, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . Retrieving A Pheasant (MQ) 
Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 18:24
A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. (KJV)

Thoughts
The cock pheasant flushed with the traditional cackle and the shot was taken. Gliding to the ground, I knew the bird would be on the run.

Mattie, my fifteen-pound, eight-month-old Boykin Spaniel, broke for the retrieve. You could see the amazement in her eye when she caught this strange bird. "It looks more like a fancy chicken than a quail," she was thinking. This was her first pheasant retrieve. Without hesitating, she jumped right on the bird.

They looked like two little boys in the backyard wrestling. She was on top, and then the bird was on top. After a minute of this tussle, Mattie just backed off a couple of steps to regroup.

Buddy, my two-year-old English Setter, stepped in and scooped up the bird, shook it a few times; and the fight was over. Then, he did the most interesting thing--he put it down for Mattie.

She rushed over, grabbed the bird, and brought it to me. When I took it from her, she stood there so proudly. As I looked up, Buddy was standing and watching in the distance, pleased. I guess even a dog needs a buddy.
(Joey H)

Action Point
Everybody, from time to time, gets into a situation, has to make a decision, and needs a buddy--someone to help.

Jesus Christ has been my Friend, my Buddy, if you please, for years. He guides me, teaches me, encourages me, and loves me. When I get in a tight that I cannot manage, He is always there to step in and take over.

He really is a true Friend Who is closer than a brother. A long time ago, I discovered that I needed a buddy. How about you?

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Begin crate training your pup on the day that you bring him home. If the pup is in the house with you and the family, use his crate in which to let him rest, have a snack, and even spend his nights. The crate will help you manage him and also give him his space. When you begin to take him to the field, loading him in his dog box will never be a problem.