Wednesday, February 29, 2012











February 29, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . Now, It's Just A Passion (MQ)
Bible Study Verse
Acts 9:3-4
As he journeyed he came near Damascus, and suddenly a light shone around him from heaven. Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?" (NKJV)

Thoughts
Saul had his life turned around 180 degrees while on the road to Damascus. My life also changed drastically about 20-25 yrs ago. I wasn't off killing people, but I was intent on reducing the largemouth bass population.

I bought my first bass boat, an aluminum Bass Tracker, in the early 80's. From there I graduated up to a Skeeter fiberglass boat. It had a lot of the whistles and bells popular at the time. I was obsessed with bass fishing, made two or three trips a month to my favorite fishing lakes. I remember mouthing prayers several times as I left Jasper, Texas, a town close to Sam Rayburn Reservoir--thanking the Lord for the ability to fish and, "Please don't let me loose these opportunities!"

Guess what: after going through some financial difficulties, the boat had to be sold. Without a boat, fishing most of the major lakes in Texas is pretty much impossible. Either there is no access to the water or the shoreline is privately owned.

My obsession with bass fishing had been dealt a severe blow. I had a Damascus experience. Though I hadn't been knocked off a donkey or horse by a blinding light, I was knocked out of my boat!
(Tom B)

Action Point
Like Saul, my life had suddenly changed. It took me longer than it took Saul to be able to see clearly again. Slowly the Lord opened my eyes to see that there were other ways to pursue the sport. He had cured me of the obsession.

Now, it's just a passion in my life. He showed me different ways of fishing. I found a bass club that had lots of empty seats open to non-boaters in their tournaments. I discovered there are many ponds (stock tanks) in Texas that you can fish with permission. Some of these tanks had better fishing than the large impoundments. He also showed me some new fishing techniques that I would never had experienced otherwise. He opened my eyes!

I am not saying that the modern bass boats with all of the features are bad news. They are really an enjoyable way to pursue the fish, and I would love to have another boat if that were possible. But I learned that I needed to have a proper perspective on the total picture!

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Part of the joy of fishing is learning new ways, new challenges in catching fish. An ultra light spinning rod and reel, or fly rod, equipped with mini lures or flies slowly worked around the edges of a pond can produce some pulse-raising excitement!