Thursday, May 9, 2013
















May 6, 2013  

Today's Photograph . . . The Only Thing That Stubbornness Will Get You Is An Early Grave  (MQ)
Bible Study Verse
Psalms 41:1-3
Dignify those who are down on their luck; you'll feel good-that's what God does. God looks after us all, makes us robust with life- Lucky to be in the land, we're free from enemy worries. Whenever we're sick and in bed, God becomes our nurse, nurses us back to health. (MSG)
  
Thoughts
Just recently I was asked to take part in a mentored youth deer hunt .   This was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me and I felt honored to be asked by a dear friend.  Not only participate in this event and mentor this young man, but a chance for me to be in the field with one of my mentors as well.  
  
I got to tell you that this was one of the greatest experiences I have ever had when it comes to mentoring teenagers.  I am a youth pastor and have seen God move in many ways in teenagers lives. To be big part of this young man's life was stellar! 
  
Being on the top of that mountain with God mentoring me, and me mentoring that young man as well as being mentored by my friend as well, you would think that it just doesn't get any better than that. Yep, it did! I am glad to report that that young man took a very nice 28 inch buck that day and all was well in the land or at least I thought it was.  This is the part of the story where everything goes south. This is where the once in a lifetime, perfect, God honoring, life changing experience turned into one of the most painful experience of my life.

The next day after lunch I wasn't feeling so good and decide to turn in early.  I woke up with one of the most painful stomach aches I had ever experienced.  To save you all the gore and details, let's just say it wasn't pretty. I was sick for the better part of the night and into the early morning.  We were camped out in very remote and isolated location (a nice way of saying IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE), about 60 miles from civilization.
  
After what seemed like hours of endless pain, my friend loaded me up in the truck and made a mad dash to the nearest hospital.  After a lot of IV fluids, antibiotics and pain medication, I was released from the hospital with a bad case of food poisoning.  I honestly don't know what I would have done that night without my friend there; I thought I was going to die. 
  
You see not just because I was sick and needed someone there to help me, but because my friend is a passionate follower of Jesus Christ who has spent a better part of his life mentoring and raising up men to become passionate "men of God" who will in turn mentor and rise up other men of God.  He, also, was able to intercede on my behalf with God for me.  I was in so much pain I couldn't see, I couldn't hear, but he heard just fine that morning and God spoke volumes to me through him. 
(Donny N)
 
Action Point
Sometimes as men, we tend to avoid assistance for pretty much everything we do and sometimes we even have this same mind set when it comes to God. Especially when He's trying to help us out. 
  
One of the sad realities of today is that men are no longer mentoring other men to become men of God.  It doesn't make you less of a man to ask for help.  It's what makes you a man of God when you do ask for His help and allow Him to do it.  Men of the 21st century are trying to prolong their adolescence due to the lack of mentors. 
  
It's time for us as men of God to rise up and show the young men of today "HOW" to become a man of God. Anyone can tell you how to do it, but it's the real man of God that says, "Here, let me show you." I challenge you to find a young man today, invest in his life, allow God to use you and we together can transform humanity one man of God at a time. 
  
If my friend had not been by my side, I don't know what would have happened.  It's not unmanly to allow someone to help you.  I could have not allowed my friend to help me that night and been stubborn. 
  
But, the only thing I have found that stubbornness will get you is an early grave.  Stubbornness is basically a lack of trust in God.  Let yourself be used by God, and together we can change the future.
  
Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Always have a hunting partner or partners.  Have a detailed plan to include hunting location, duration of intended stay and any alternate locations you might be in.  Make sure each hunter in your party understands and agrees to the plan. Always leave a copy of the plan with someone at home.