Saturday, September 17, 2011







eptember 17, 2011


Today's Photograph . . . .   First Trout For The Summer (MQ) 

Bible Study Verses

Psalms 89:26-28
He will call out to me, 'You are my Father, my God, the Rock my Savior.' And I will appoint him to be my firstborn, the most exalted of the kings of the earth. I will maintain my love to him forever, and my covenant with him will never fail. (NIV)

Thoughts

I think my first fish were members of the perch family. For my son Tim, he learned how to fish while trolling for white bass. We would load up the boat on Saturday morning and travel to Lake Livingston, a large lake in southeast Texas.
The fishing was easy and usually the catching was great. With rigged rods, we would motor out to known white bass hangouts on the lake. Once there, I would shift the motor into idle, get our rods ready, shift into slow trolling speed, slowly letting the lures out behind the boat; nothing hard about it and lots of fun. Just sit back and wait for the rod tip to start going crazy. Retrieve the fish and let the lure out again for another pass over the fish.
You couldn't get much better Saturday afternoons.
(Tom B)

Action Point

I am very proud of my son Tim and what he has done with his life.

God was very proud of David, "the most exalted of the kings of the earth. I will maintain my love to him forever, and my covenant with him will never fail." Did you catch the plural on "kings"? David was numero uno in God's opinion.
 
I, also, bet that Joseph, Jesus' earthly father, was very proud of his firstborn. I envision Jesus and Joseph working together in Joseph's carpentry shop, Joseph teaching Jesus the easy way to fit or nail something together, making all kinds of fun projects. I can just see Joseph stepping back, admiring Jesus' handiwork, and thinking, "That's my boy!" Farthest from his mind was his son would be nailed to a wooden cross, dying for men, freeing mankind from eternal damnation if they only acknowledge their sinful nature and ask Jesus to be their Savior.

I am thankful to be the firstborn of my earthly father, who also like Jesus' father, loved carpentry.

I am thankful to be numbered among God's children. "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well," Psalms 139:14 (NIV).

 
Sportsmen's Tip of the Day

A very efficient and easy way to catch white bass or stripers is to troll a deep diving Bomber style bait. Attach one end of an 18-24" leader to the tie-on eyelet on the bill of the lure. Tie a lead spoon at the other end of the leader. Traditional spoons, non-lead, will work, but the extra weight of a lead spoon gets the lure deeper. The mission of the deep diving bait is to take the spoon down deep and keep it there-like a downrigger. Hooks can remain on the deep diver, but you are going to fight hanging up on underwater obstructions.