Thursday, September 29, 2011













September 29, 2011 

Today's Photograph . . . . Coues Buck (Jimmy S)

Bible Study Verses
Philippians 3:13b-14
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me Heavenward in Christ Jesus. (NIV)

Thoughts

It's always fun to think back to hunts of former years.  I can still see my first deer in my scope that crisp October morning over forty-five years ago.  A few years later in almost the exact same spot a mountain lion fell to the trusty .270 Winchester.  In 1976, a desert sheep filled the scope at thirty-five yards.  In 1977, the .270 was used to take my buffalo and, in 2009, an antelope.  My son's first big game kill, a javelina, and his first deer and elk kills (with his .270!) were really special moments in the field.

However, some hunts aren't such good memories.  Still fun, just not as pleasant.  There were missed shots, blown stalks, storms that blew the tent down, and a few times that the truck sunk to the axles in mud.

But, what I like most about hunting is the next season!  I have a fall deer tag in my pocket and know I'm going to have a great time on the mountain and will get to spend some good time with some good friends.  And, hopefully that monster Coues Whitetail deer will fill my scope!  Now, where did I put that .270 ammunition?
(Cliff S)

Action Point

As Christians it's easy to get stuck looking at life in the rear view mirror.  Sometimes we look back so much that we don't see where it is that God wants us to go.  We may think so much about past victories or failures that we don't experience all that God has planned for us.  Maybe it's a former job, position, relationship, or event (positive or negative), that keeps us focused on what's behind rather than what's ahead.  And, Satan is good at reminding us of our failures!

But, God is better at reminding us that, if we've put our faith in Him, He has forgiven us of ALL of our sins and that He has a great future planned for us.  The challenge is to put the past, both victories and losses, behind us as Paul did and press on to the adventures and blessings that God has for us to experience.   Jesus set the greatest example for us.  In His own words in John 17:4 when speaking to the Father Jesus said, "I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do," (NIV).

Let's not miss the future God has planned for us because we're stuck in the past!!!

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day

Anticipation is a huge part of the hunt.  Pre-hunt planning: sighting in your rifle or bow, studying maps, pre-season scouting trips, gathering up your camping and hunting equipment, and even grocery shopping is a part of the hunting experience.  Be thorough in your pre-hunt planning and the actual hunt will go much more smoothly.