Tuesday, November 22, 2011












November 22, 2011  

Today's Photograph . . . . Flounder (NPS)
Bible Study Verse
Psalms 27:1
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (NKJV)

Thoughts
My brother came down to visit me, my wife and I took him flounder gigging. Floundering, as it is called along the Texas Coast, has been described as, "too much fun to be legal." To gig a flounder, one gets a propane lantern, a gig (a pole with a spike in one end), and a stringer. After dark, you walk along the bank in the saltwater bays. The flounder comes into the shallow water to feed at night. As you walk along in a few inches of water, the lantern light will reveal the fish laying on the bottom. If it is of legal size, you stab it with the gig and put in on the stringer....after getting splashed with saltwater and some mud, of course.

On this particular night, I was following along in the boat as they were walking. Just at the edge of the lantern light were two red eyes watching. These eyes were directly in their path and never moved as they walked closer. Finally, my wife and brother got scared enough to ask me to pick them up.

We motored up to discover that the red eyes were attached to the cutest little three-foot alligator that you ever did see. Those two--scared of a baby alligator!
(Chris Q)

Action Point
Just as the lantern light revealed possible danger of the alligator to us, the Light of Jesus will also reveal danger to us.

Danger may come in the form of temptation. I Corinthians 10:13 promises, "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, Who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it," (NKJV).
 
During times of temptation and danger, we need to focus on the Truth of His Word and be obedient by staying in the Light of Jesus reflected in John 8:12, "Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, 'I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the Light of Life,' " (NKJV).

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Whether you are out floundering or wade fishing in the bay or surf, make sure that your stringer is very long and has a float. This keeps your catch away from your body in the event that it attracts a shark or alligator.