Thursday, March 1, 2012











March 1, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . Nice Bass (Ron M)
Bible Study Verses
1 Samuel 17:38-40
So Saul clothed David with his armor, and he put a bronze helmet on his head; he also clothed him with a coat of mail. David fastened his sword to his armor and tried to walk, for he had not tested them. And David said to Saul, "I cannot walk with these, for I have not tested them." So David took them off. Then he took his staff in his hand; and he chose for himself five smooth stones from the brook, and put them in a shepherd's bag, in a pouch which he had, and his sling was in his hand. And he drew near to the Philistine. (NKJV)

Thoughts
I think everybody who knows anything about David could finish this story. David accomplishes the improbable and defeats the Philistine giant, over nine feet tall, with a single stone hurled from his slingshot with God's divine help. 

David stayed true to who he was--a shepherd who was used to defending his sheep from attack by bears and lions with simple weapons. He didn't pretend to be somebody that he was not and the Lord blessed him in his life.

I used to be one of those anglers that had the patches, hats, decals, and all the other stuff that fishing tackle companies pass out to anglers. It's a good deal for these companies to get free advertising on anglers walking around. I still have hats and T-shirts with fishing logos emblazoned on them. I think they look great and still wear some of them. 
(Tom B)

Action Point
There is nothing wrong with fishing tackle companies using promotional advertisements that picture anglers wearing the advertised items. The trouble comes when anglers try to assume the identity of someone they are not by wearing all these patches and clothing. Pride tends to override who they really are and, sometimes, even their common sense. 

I have seen grown men walk the aisles of large fishing tackle showrooms wearing shirts emblazoned with all kinds of emblem of fishing tackle manufacturers. These fellows were not professional anglers, but wannabes. They even talked the talk of their favorite fishing hero.

Be true to yourself as David was. If the armor doesn't fit and  hinders the real you, don't wear it.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
I have a collection of hats that different boat and fishing tackle companies have given me. I like some of the hats more than others because of the way they fit or look. I keep an extra hat in my truck so I will have it when I need it to keep the sun out of my eyes. Keeping a spare hat in your truck or boat can be a blessing when you forget to bring one or if it's blown off and lost on a fast run across the lake or bay.