Saturday, March 24, 2012











March 24, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . On A Restoration Trip (Brett M) 
Bible Study Verses
Psalm 51:10-12
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from Your presence or take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. (NIV)

Thoughts
I must admit, when I first began hunting and fishing my main goal was to harvest. I heard others talking about how they did not care if they got something or not. They just enjoyed the hunt. And for a while I thought either they were just plain crazy or that was their way of coping with coming home empty handed each year. 

I mean how anybody could not care if they harvested or not seemed a completely foreign concept to me. But as the years went by and a small amount of wisdom caught up with my age, I realized that these same people were fulfilling a fundamental need. Not the primitive need to provide for the family by putting food on the table, but the fundamental need of rejuvenation and restoration.
(Brett M)
 
Action Point
David wrote this Psalm during a dark period in his life. He had brought a married woman to his palace, had sex with her, and when he found out she was pregnant he had her husband, who also was a soldier in his army, sent to the front lines in hopes that he would be killed. He was! Then when the child was born it lived for a week. 

David in his Psalm was asking for God to cleanse him, to wash him, create a new heart in him and restore the joy of God's salvation. David needed restoration. But before he could have it, he needed to come clean with God, confess, and turn away from his sins. This is the only way to seek restoration, to first confess and turn from sin thus allowing the Holy Spirit to restore your soul.
 
I find myself needing this restoration much more than hunting or fishing allows. The need to get away and enjoy time in God's country is essential. Just as I have to make time to do other things that are good for me like exercise, going to the dentist, and reading my bible. I have found that it is something that I must make time to do regularly. 

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Whether you are able to get away for just a couple of hours or for a day or two, small restoration trips are a great way to scout new areas.