Wednesday, March 28, 2012










March 28, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . Awaiting The Revelation Of The . . .  (NPS)
Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 16:23 
The heart of the wise teaches his mouth, and adds learning to his lips. (NKJV)

Thoughts
My husband is an outdoorsman of magnificent proportions. His comfort in the woods is a wonder to me. I grew up camping, but not hunting or fishing. When I married my game warden, I had no idea the adventure upon which I was embarking.

We had decided to take a vacation to Idaho, having heard that the fishing was superb. So, we loaded up our Bronco with float tubes, waders, fly rods, spinning rods, camping gear, and headed out from Arizona for an adventure. We had scoped out many small lakes near the Canadian border to fish. It was late spring and the rivers were dangerously swollen and wild. 

One morning, I sat on the tail gate of our Bronco fastening my waders while my husband fiddled with his fly rod. We heard a crashing, clunking noise coming from the dense, dark woods. My heart began to pound as my imagination ran wild. I sat with my heart in my throat awaiting the revelation of the creature. Out walked a gangly young bull moose. He was perhaps ten yards from my husband and 20 yards from me. Terrified, I screamed, turned around, and catapulted myself through the back end of our Bronco--over the back seat, over the front driver's seat, hit my head on the roof, then the steering wheel, and finally, came to an awkward resting place somewhere between the seat and the dash.

I gathered myself up and peeked over the front seat expecting to see my husband valiantly fighting off this ferocious herbivore. To my amazement, what I did see was both the moose and my husband staring at me with a similar puzzled and befuddled expression. My husband looked at the moose and the moose looked at him. My husband said to the moose, "Go on fella, get on out of here before she really hurts herself." The moose, seemingly glad to comply, turned, and trotted back into the woods. As I made my way out of the vehicle, my husband walked over to inspect my bruised forehead. 

"What were you thinking?" he asked (he asks me that quite often). 

I stated that I thought he was going to eat me! 

"Eat you?" he said with a poorly concealed grin. 

"Yes," I said, "I saw on the Discovery channel--how moose attack!" 

He began to laugh. "Well sure, honey, they can attack, but it must be the right context."

"Oh, sure," I said, "Like I know the right context!" 

He then proceeded to tell me what might actually provoke a moose to attack. Let me tell you, we have had many great laughs over that one! 
(Sara S)

Action Point
When you are with a less experienced person in the woods, be very careful not to belittle them should they respond in a seemingly silly manner to a natural situation. It can be a great time of instruction and good-natured fun. Lessons learned in that context are not forgotten and provide great memories. 

Pray that your heart may be filled with Jesus' wisdom, love, and mercy. Your lips will then follow His lead.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
An empty ice chest serves as an excellent bathtub for small children while tent camping.