Wednesday, March 7, 2012











March 7, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . Sasquatch Of  The Cave (NPS)
Bible Study Verse  
Acts 8:26
Now an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, "Arise and go toward the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza." This is desert. (NKJV)

Thoughts
I remember hiking with my Dad and coming upon a cave tucked into the wall of a cliff. It was rather tall, as caves go, standing about seven feet. I was scared, but decided to enter and find where it led. 

As I climbed in, I carried a flashlight in one hand and a knife in the other. I am not sure what the knife would have done for me, but I felt better having it. As I moved farther into it, the cave began to shrink rapidly, so that within a dozen feet I was down on my hands and knees. Then I was on my belly crawling. Before too long, I was squeezing through a very narrow passage that forced me to wiggle while lying on my side with one hand in front of me, holding the flashlight, and the other down at my side. 

Then I felt a sting, then another and another; something was attacking me--biting and stabbing every part of my body. The more I moved, the more it hurt. I dropped the flashlight and the knife and began trying to wiggle back out. My mind raced with images of every conceivable venomous, poisonous, or sharp-clawed creature whose home I had just invaded. Every move intensified the pain! I finally managed to get onto my knees and crawl backwards to the opening.

My Dad looked very concerned at the mouth of the cave; and based on my screams, was sure I had been attacked by the Sasquatch that inhabited it. 

When I emerged, I was covered head to toe in porcupine quills that littered the floor of this porcupine family's home. 
(Brett M) 

Action Point
Phillip had a ministry in Samaria that was going well when God told him to go travel an unknown desert road. God instructed Noah how to build a boat on dry land in a time in which rain had never fallen. God had Moses leave Egypt and take the Israelites with him to an unknown destination. Hosea was to marry a prostitute. A prostitute!!! Talk about being outside your comfort zone!!!

Sometimes God tells us to go to places where we are not comfortable, ones that are contrary to the warmth and coziness of our lives--places that appear dark, scary and may or may not contain Sasquatches. 

God does not need us to do these things for Him; He is perfectly capable of accomplishing what He needs without our help. He takes us into these seemingly fearful places for us--to increase our trust in Him--and for others whose lives He allows our experiences to impact. 

The next time God asks you to go where you are not comfortable, remember what Paul says in Philippians 4:13, " I can do all things through Christ[a] who strengthens me," (NKJV).  

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Porcupine quills are barbed and can deeply imbed themselves into the skin if left untreated. Use pliers to grasp the quill as closely to the skin as possible and pull sharply. Afterwards, apply an antibiotic cream to the affected area.