Saturday, August 25, 2012












August 25, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . Situations and Circumstances Can Mire Us Down, Catch Us Off Guard, and Derail (MQ)
Bible Study Verse
Psalm 69:2
Deeper and deeper I sink into the mire; I can't find a foothold. I am in deep water, and the floods overwhelm me. (NLT)

Thoughts
The crossing of the small stream was routine. I had hunted these woods, making the same push many times. It was frozen over some years. But, usually all I had to do was find a place the deer crossed and I could make the crossing just fine. I had thought of using a pole to help stabilize me during the crossing, but when none was readily at hand I gave up on the idea.

So I ventured out with nothing to stabilize me; nothing to lean on. This time my left boot became mired down in the mucky, muddy bottom. I fell. My one boot filled with water, my clothing became wet, and water quickly turned to ice on the shotgun. When I was able to get up and out on the other side, I was faced with cleaning myself and making sure my weapon was not full of ice, mud, or snow.

My hands became so cold during this recovery effort that they hurt. I am sure it would have made a comical video. The experience itself was such a challenge that I ended my hunt early.
(Jack M)

Action Point
The situations and circumstances of life can mire us down, catch us off guard, and derail us from the important and meaningful things we should do. A foothold or stepping stone is important.

This solid foundation is found in Jesus Christ alone. On our own, the mud will entrap us. the waters overwhelm us, and even drown us. But, if we depend on the Lord, we can find the bedrock of certainty and substance that will never disappoint or let us down. Matthew 7:24-25 reflects, "Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won't collapse because it is built on bedrock, " (NLT).

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Choose places to cross streams very carefully. Use a pole or a long strong stick to give you support and stability. Carry extra dry socks in case the water enters your boots so you can change into dry socks. Also make sure to clear the weapon of ice, debris, mud, or snow before you fire it.