Saturday, March 23, 2013












March 23, 2013  

Today's Photograph . . .  It's What You Do Afterwards That Counts   (MQ)
Bible Study Verses
Philippians 3:12-14
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me Heavenward in Christ Jesus. (NIV)

Thoughts
As I have been trying to once again become proficient with a bow after 20 years I have had some difficulties. I have lost 5 arrows, which hurts your wallet as much as it does your pride. When I draw my bow, the trees begin to shake with fear. Archery takes different skills than a gun, but they also share some.
(Terry L) 

Action Point
When I miss with my bow, I have a tendency to get frustrated and angry with myself. These feelings are even worse if I lose the arrow. I will then try to shoot some more. I notice that when I come to full draw, I am not running through the check list of good fundamentals instead I am worrying about missing and losing another arrow. When I work at the range with handgun shooters who miss, I tell them forget about it that shot is gone and done, evaluate what you did wrong, and try not to do it again. If they worry about what they did wrong, they begin to neglect the basics and then become frustrated. They focus on the wrong thing and miss their target.

Too many of us focus on what we have done instead of on what we can do. At the end of Romans 7, Paul talks about his old self and even calls himself a wretched man. Thank God he did not stay focused on what he did, but focused on what he could be.

We all make mistakes and have fallen; it is what you do afterwards that counts. We have been forgiven for our sins. God doesn't dwell on them so why do we? We need to heed the Apostle Paul's advice to the Philippian church. We need to forget the past and strive toward what's ahead of us.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
A good back stop cannot just save you arrows, but it can also save you money and aggravation. There several types of materials that you can use. Some people use hay bales, some old carpet, some stall mats, or a hill side. If you Google this subject, you will find a lot of alternatives.