Thursday, March 7, 2013












March 7, 2013   

Today's Photograph . . . . But, Just Like David, God Takes Me By The Hand and Keeps My Feet On Firm Ground   (NPS)
Bible Study Verses
Psalm 37:23-24
The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in Him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with His hand. (NIV) 

Thoughts
On my son's first Javelina hunt (at age 10), we found a herd of pigs and he got off a shot but missed. He had failed to make the kill. 

That could have been the end of his hunting career right then and there if I had left it up to him. But, being a loving father, I kept encouraging him to stay in the field until we got another chance (notice here that I said "we", my son was never alone on the hunt, I was always by his side). I held his hand, so to speak, and didn't let him fall.
I knew that his miss didn't make him a failure, just a regular hunter that had to keep trying in order to be successful. He learned that two days later when he scored on his first big game animal. He has since gone on to make several javelina kills, three elk, two deer, coyotes, and so many doves that we have lost count. 
(Cliff S)
Action Point
King David in the Old Testament is one of my favorite Bible characters. Why? Because I see myself in him. David was a man after God's own heart, but he failed, he sinned.
I try but I make mistakes. I fail. I sin. But, just like David, God takes me by the hand and keeps my feet on firm ground.
The other reassuring thing about David is that, even after his failures, after he had sinned, God still used David mightily for His purposes. God even promised David that the coming Messiah, Jesus, would be from his family. Even though David had failed God, God still used him!
Because of that example I can rest in God's promise that He will use me in spite of my failures if I have a heart for Him. Yes, I stumble, but I don't fall because God is holding tightly to my hand. And, God will use me if I hold tightly to His hand.
Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
As a Hunter Ed instructor I had a chance to be an encourager to my students. I, also, got to help experienced hunters learn how to encourage their kids and spouses and how to hold their hands when they missed. Be careful to let them be kids and rookies. Let them miss, but keep them shooting. The hits will come.