Wednesday, October 16, 2013


















October 16, 2013   

Today's Photograph . . . . Make Sure That You Invest Today And Every Day In The Things That Really Matter To Christ   (MQ) 
Bible Study Verse
Ecclesiastes 3:20
All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return. (NIV)
 
Thoughts
Do you have someone you love listening to when it comes to telling about an outdoor adventure? Well, this past week I had the privilege of seeing two family patriarchs laid to rest - my wife's grandpa and a very good friend from work. Both of these men lived for Christ and dedicated their lives to making a difference for their savior.
I loved listening to my wife's grandpa tell his hunting stories. His eyes would light up when he started to share them, usually accompanied by a sheepish grin. As a young Christian and entering my wife's family through marriage, Grandpa became an important part of my own faith journey. As I was just getting grounded in the faith, we would have a family gathering - Thanksgiving, Christmas, or maybe the 4th of July. He was always there, and he was always quietly living out his faith. In his humble unassuming way, he was a steadying influence for all of us in the family. 
 
As his wife faced Alzheimer's, he visited her every day in the nursing home for over a year. Most days, she didn't know who he was, but it didn't stop him from loving her until she passed. After she passed on, he moved to northern Michigan to live in his cabin. He pressed on for ten more years - until the age of 93, finding ways to contribute to his local church, neighborhood, and our family. 
 
He encouraged me and helped build my own faith - just by watching the way he lived his life. He was a true Christian Patriarch for our family.
(Dave M)
Action Point
I recently read that you really will never know the quality of a person until their later years in life:
  • Why do the kids keep visiting? 
  • Why do the grandkids keep stopping by? 
  • Why are the neighbors always going over to that house for coffee? 
When you've spent your life investing well in the things of God, there will be fruit - but it may not be seen until many years have gone by. 
 
If you are like me and living a very busy life, just pause and take some time today to reflect on the quality of the life that you are living. Are you giving everything and every day to Christ? 

There's going to come a time, when you and I are no longer on this earth. We will be dust. Make sure that you invest today and every day in the things that really matter to Christ. 

I will miss Grandpa and my work buddy, but I know that they invested well and they are with Jesus today. I can only hope that one day, my life and the fruits of it will look like theirs.
 
Sportsmens Tip of the Day
If you have specific desires about passing on pieces of your outdoor legacy to your kids or grandkids, make sure to include specifically who the equipment is to be given to in your will.