Sunday, May 25, 2014

























May 21, 2014   

Today's Photograph . . . . It Is The Daily Time Of Oiling The Locks That Makes The Difference  (NPS)
Bible Study Verse
Galatians 6:9
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. (NIV)
 
Thoughts
As my eyes saw the three old Yale locks laying there, my mind raced back to the days of my childhood. 
 
Recently, the locks were hanging on my Dad's work beach, but years ago they hung on the doors of the barn at the old home place. All three were well-oiled just as Dad had left them before he went to be with the Lord. 
 
The barn had three doors and each lock had a place and purpose: the smallest protected the door where Dad kept the lawn mower and all of the yard tools; the middle-sized lock guarded the workshop door; and the large one secured the double doors where Dad kept the car. If they could talk, each lock, much older than I, could tell some stories. They watched me grow up - first opening them as a child, then as a teenager grumbling about yard work, but also excited to be driving the family car. As a man, my hands closed the locks with my own son in tow.

Pounded by cold winter rains and sleet and baked by the hot southern sun, these locks worked week after week - faithful and ready to serve, fulfilling their purpose. Dad cleaned and oiled the locks regularly, even weeks before his death. 
 
I took them from the work bench, and now they lay side by side in my study to remind me that I must keep my life well-oiled and maintained by the Word of the Lord and prayer. From time to time I'll unlock them and drop some oil into them just as my father did. 
(Joey H)

Action Point
We live in an instant, throw-away culture. Very few things stand the test of time. 
 
The reason that Dad's locks still work is that he took time to take care of them. Each time I come off the stage with my mandolin and guitar, my instruments get a good rub down before they hit the case. When I come in from the field with my double barrel, she gets cleaned before she is put away. The best bird hunters that I know always take care of their dogs before they go to eat and rest. We brush our teeth and wash behind the ears before bed, just as Mother taught us. 
 
But, there is more to us than the physical - we must faithfully make time to take care of our spirit: read the Bible; listen to Godly music; read a good book; hug your kids; spend time talking with God. It is the daily time of oiling the locks that makes the difference.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Take a soft rag and dampen it with your gun oil. Place this rag in a zip locked bag and toss it in your gun case. When your through hunting, quickly wipe the gun down with the rag. This will help maintain it until you can fully clean it. Also, this gives you a second chance to make sure that the gun is unloaded.