Tuesday, April 10, 2012










April 10, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . What They Both Had In Common Was The Appetite I Brought (MQ)
Bible Study Verse
John 6:26-27  
Jesus answered, "Very truly I tell you, you are looking for Me, not because you saw the signs I performed but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on Him God the Father has placed His seal of approval." (NIV)

Thoughts  
Under normal conditions, I like to eat. But after backpacking for a week, I would venture to say that my appetite might be considered voracious. The dried foods we pack suffice for the time being. But given the choice of eating pizza or a dried eggs and bacon combination, there's no comparison. 

There are three amazing meals that I can vividly remember in my life. Two of them occurred in the outdoors. What they both had in common was the appetite that I brought to the meal. 

When my family and I had finished hiking over 50 miles on Isle Royale, my appetite was through the roof. We had gotten into Windigo Harbor early and had to wait for the departing boat ride with a couple of hours to kill. 

There was a small camp store down at that end of the island that we meandered in to see what they had: fountain pop with ice, hot pizza by the slice, Klondike bars in the freezer, candy bars, hot dogs.   Initially, my wife and I told each of the kids they could get something to drink and grab a snack. Everyone was delighted!!!  As the eating commenced, we recognized how good everything tasted, and we ended up on a feeding binge. It wasn't like it was a fancy five course meal, but it all tasted so good because each of us brought a voracious appetite.
(Dave M)

Action Point
When we sit down to read God's word, I believe God wants us to read with an appetite. Reading it out of routine or guilt doesn't create a quality quiet time. 

When we read God's Word, we need to read it with an appetite, an expectancy that God is going to provide us what we need - our spiritual sustenance. If you have fallen into a rut with your reading of God's Word, ask Him to reveal Himself to you in a new and fresh way. Ask Him to give you a hunger for reading His Word.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day 
If you are taken a young sportsmen to the woods with you and you know they aren't going to last the hours of waiting needed for the hunt, make sure to pack them a pack of goodies or treats to hold their interest, books, markers, puzzles. Obviously it depends on what you're doing as to what you can get away with, but do whatever you can to make it an enjoyable trip for the young person.