Wednesday, April 18, 2012












April 18, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . My Two Best Friends Were Gone (MQ)  
Bible Study Verse
Luke 15:32
" "It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.' " (NKJV)

Thoughts
Before our children were born my wife and I had two best friends, our dogs. On one occasion, I wanted to go on a short camping trip, but my wife's work schedule would not permit her to go. So I packed up the truck with the necessary supplies, sleeping bag, tent, our two dogs, and left for the mountains. When I arrived, I quickly set up camp and decided to go for a hike with my dogs. 

We were about two miles from camp when we rounded a creek bed that fed a clearing in the forest. Standing in the middle of the clearing was a herd of twenty or so grazing elk. My dogs immediately began barking and running straight at the elk. 

The elk, startled and amazed, began to flee, pursued by my two dogs giving chase as I followed well behind trying to coax them back. It did not take long and the elk were out of site. So were my dogs. 

My stomach sank! The forest was deadly silent--no hooves hitting the ground, no more barking, just me and my pounding heart, alone. We were a hundred miles from home and my two best friends were lost!!! 
(Brett M)

Action Point
Jesus tells the parable in Luke of the prodigal son. Rather than wait until his father's death, he asked for his share of his father's wealth early. Then he proceeded to go and waste all his inheritance on wild living, only to return to his father, broken and desolate. His father welcomed him home with open arms and offered him the best of all that he had.

There have been times in my life when I have chosen to live outside of God's will, and He knew I would become lost. He watched me run away from Him, chasing something that I was not going to catch. 

I think about those times and wonder, "Did God feel the way I did in that forest when my dogs were lost and wandering? Did He feel His stomach sink? Did He feel His heartbeat?" 

I do know that He is always faithful--that each time I come back feeling broken and desolate, He has always been there with open arms, offering the best that He has and welcoming me home.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Many of us take our four-legged friends with us camping or hunting. Identification collars are not just for the park near home. One of the only hopes you may have if your pets become lost is that they are found my someone else, and that person has a way of contacting you.