Thursday, April 12, 2012










April 12, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . Deer Rub (Brian H) 
Bible Study Verses
I Peter 1:13-16
Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He Who called you is Holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, "Be holy, for I am Holy." (NKJV)

Thoughts
I credit my Dad, first of all, and then my Uncle Bob, for forming my love of hunting. They would tell me how to do certain things differently in order to remain undetected by game. They would give me pointers and share tricks that they used to take game. But, that wasn't all. There were times when corrective action was needed. 

I remember one time in particular that my Dad and I were squirrel hunting in the oak timber of Northeast Arkansas. I was probably eight or nine years old and was carrying his old .410 shotgun. Any time I would stop to watch the woods around me, I would balance it on my shoulder without touching it with my hands. 

Dad gave me one warning and then promptly took the gun away from me when I did it again. 
(Brian H.)

Action Point

Dad wasn't being a hard-nose. On the contrary, he was teaching me. He was helping me to be more like him in the context of hunting. He wanted me to be a safe hunter, a respectful, careful, and honorable outdoorsman. 

Was it fun having the gun taken away from me? No. Did I learn something valuable from that? Oh yes! 

Now, spiritually speaking, we are to keep our minds clean and pure. The Word of God says to "gird up the loins of your mind." Brian's translation:  "Watch what you think about and what you let into your mind!!!" 

The second part is that we are to be obedient children. We are to do our best to obey God's Word and His direction for our lives. Then to take discipline in stride, knowing that He knows best!!!

Finally, the end product is that we are to be more like Him. You want a goal for your life? How about this one: "Be holy for I am holy," I Peter1:16 (NKJV).

Sportsman's Tip of the Day
If you're taking down your hunting stands for the season, take time to tighten up bolts, touch up paint, mend torn pads, check safety harnesses, and replace worn pieces before storing them. It will save you from doing this at the last minute this coming Fall.