Saturday, April 7, 2012










April 7, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . Where The Disciples Went The Day After Is Pretty Much A Mystery (Tom H)
Bible Study Verses
Matthew 26:31-32
Then Jesus told them, "This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written:
" 'I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.' But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee." (NIV)

Thoughts
My friend, Dean, and I were hunting deer in the Harquahala Mountains west of Phoenix. We took off in separate directions that morning with the plan that we'd meet up in the afternoon or back at camp after dark. 

We didn't cross paths that afternoon, so I headed back to camp about sundown expecting to either find Dean there, or to have him come into camp shortly after dark. I settled in and waited to make dinner thinking that Dean would be there soon. 

Quite a bit of time went by and I decided to go ahead and eat. Now it was getting late and I was getting worried about Dean, not knowing if he was OK or not. All kinds of thoughts ran through my mind of him being hurt on the mountain and whether I should head out and try to find him, or perhaps fire signal shots to see if Dean answered. 

I did place a lantern on the top of the truck for a visual reference for Dean, and blew the horn a few times so he would know where the truck was located. Finally, I heard the familiar sound of Dean walking as he arrived back at camp. 

Seems he had killed a buck right at dark, and between field dressing it and hiking out to the truck, it took far more time than either of us had expected for him to get back. Needless to say, I was very relieved that my friend was safe. 
(Cliff S)

Action Point 
Where the disciples went during the trial and crucifixion of Jesus, and the day after, is pretty much a mystery.  I would suspect that they spent their time worrying about Jesus--with whom they were associated--and about their own personal safety.  

We do know that Peter and another unidentified disciple went to the trial (John 18:15-16).  We know that John was at the crucifixion (John 19:26-27).  But, beyond that, there isn't any record of where the disciples spent their time after the arrest of Jesus and prior to His resurrection (It is interesting to me that several women that are named by the writer were present at both the trial and the crucifixion).  

We can only speculate about the disciples' whereabouts on this in between day.  Perhaps a safe house in Jerusalem where they went to hide out?  Or, how about a home in another nearby village?  Did they go hide out in the hills?  Or, maybe they went to the Sea of Galilee to fish (my personal favorite of the options).   

We do know that they abandoned Jesus just as He predicted.  If they were anything like me and my Christian friends, there was plenty of speculative conversation going on between them regarding the events of Thursday and Friday.  Then, Sunday dawns....    

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Plan your hunt, hunt your plan. You should always know the whereabouts of your hunting partners. If they don't return to camp, you know where to start looking for them. Better yet, hunt together in pairs.