Thursday, November 8, 2012












November 8, 2012 

Today's Photograph . . . . Also See The Effects Of God All Around Me Everyday and He Is Nearby   (NPS)
Bible Study Verse
Deuteronomy 31:6
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you."  (NIV)
  
Thoughts
It was a fairly cool March day in the late afternoon and I was hiking near my home. I was exploring an area new to me that held some old mining adats, tunnels and relics. There were still large patches of snow on the ground as I navigated my way up the mountain. Soon I discovered what was at some point a wide trail, possibly the road where the miners brought the ore down from the mountain. This particular road held quite a bit of snow, a detail that really seemed inconsequential at the time.

Once I reached the top of the mountain, I saw what I had come for, three adats which held mine tunnels behind them as well as evidence of mining activity. I spent about an hour at the top exploring the area. As the sun was beginning to set, I decided to make the short trip back down to my truck. Weaving my way through the cat claw and brush I located the ore road and stepped up the pace. Then I noticed something that made my heart race. 
  
There next to one of my boot prints going up the mountain was a fresh mountain lion track going down the mountain. I looked ahead and saw the freshly laid tracks in the snow going down the same road, tracks that were not there as I was hiking up just an hour ago.
(Brett M)
 
Action Point
The verse in Deuteronomy comes at the time Moses has brought the Israelites to the land of Canaan, and realizing he will not be entering, is giving them words of encouragement. Reminding them that God was always with them. He would never leave them, not during the last forty years in the desert and not in the future.

I did not see the mountain lion. But, that does not mean he was not there, I saw evidence of his presence and he was nearby. I, also, have never seen God.  But, just like I saw the effects of the cat, I also see the effects of God all around me, everyday and He is nearby.
  
It takes faith to navigate through this world holding onto a promise that He will never leave us or forsake us. However, one thing that makes it easier is to see that promise all around us in His creation.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Even on short, seemingly benign outings, remember to carry some type of personnel protection. Pepper spray, a side arm, or even a big stick can come in handy if you encounter one of God's creatures while enjoying His creation.