Monday, November 26, 2012












November 26, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . Hunting Can Be Very Humbling   (MQ)
Bible Study Verses
Acts 15:36-38
Some time later Paul said to Barnabas, "Let us go back and visit the believers in all the towns where we preached the word of the Lord and see how they are doing." Barnabas wanted to take John, also called Mark, with them, but Paul did not think it wise to take him, because he had deserted them in Pamphylia and had not continued with them in the work. (NIV)

Thoughts
This fall I accomplished a personal hunting goal, a goal that has taken me a long time to complete. A few weeks back I killed my first black bear and completed the Arizona Big Ten.

The Big Ten is a list of ten big game animals that are found in Arizona. Actually, there are thirteen now, but the original Big Ten is still recognized. When a hunter takes one of each of the ten species in Arizona (out-of-state kills don't count), he has completed his Big Ten. 

The ten species are:  Mule Deer, Coues Whitetail Deer, Elk, Antelope, Buffalo, Merriam's Turkey, Desert Bighorn Sheep, Black Bear, Mountain Lion, and Javelina. 

I came home with one empty tag (like, my unfilled archery deer tag two weeks later) to remember that I still have lots to learn about big game and hunting. Empty tags are very humbling and I have a significant collection of them to remind me to keep my head on straight!  

Now, lest you worry about me getting a little big headed here, understand, it has taken me forty-eight years to accomplish this goal. It didn't happen overnight and I was very lucky to draw some hard-to-get tags and I had a lot of help with most of the hunts. 

Speaking of bears, I saw my first bear in 1977 and just killed one this year. I did miss a nice cinnamon bear twelve years ago that I should have killed. It wasn't one of my better shots. 

I do have a couple of thoughts I want to share here. First, it is easy to get a little prideful about all of this. But, all it takes is to come home with one empty tag (like, my unfilled archery deer tag two weeks later) to remember that I still have lots to learn about big game and hunting.  Empty tags are very humbling and I have a significant collection of them to remind me to keep my head on straight!  Second, the fact that I missed that first bear I shot at wasn't the end of the story.  It took twelve years,  but I finally put my tag on a bear!    (Cliff S)
(Cliff S)

Action Point
Our spiritual walk is like these stories. First, I've been a Christian for more than fifty years, but still have lots to learn about God, Jesus, the Bible, and living the Christian life. I've listened to stories about Jesus since I was old enough to walk. I've read through the Bible numerous times and have done many book studies over the years. Believe it or not, I even sang in the church choir in my younger days, but you have to promise not to tell anybody about that! 

Even now, it still always amazes me how God reveals truths when He knows I'm ready to hear them, and not a second sooner. Second, I do fail (that's a politically correct word for sin) just like every man that walks this Earth. 

But, failure isn't fatal, it's not the end of the story. You see, God has forgiven me for my past, present, and future sins because I have accepted Jesus as my Savior. I am washed by Jesus' blood and am just as secure in my promise of eternity with God as those that are in His presence right now! Not because of anything I have done, mind you, but because of what God has done. No pride here, I am a sinner saved by grace! Are you?

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Hunting can be very humbling. About the time you think you know it all an animal makes you look silly! None of us know everything there is to know about the animals and pursuing them. I've found that I can learn something from every hunter I meet, even if what I learn is something not to do!