Sunday, November 4, 2012












November 4, 2012  

Today's Photograph . . . . Someday The House That I Built and Raised A family In Will Look Just Like This Cabin (Brett M) 
Bible Study Verses
Matthew 6:19-21
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (NIV)

Thoughts
My daughter and I were exploring an area when we came across what was an old homestead. It was essentially a one room log cabin with a stone fireplace. As I looked over the construction aspects of the cabin it was apparent that much care had gone into the structure. Trees that had to be hand felled and then stripped of their bark. Then moved to their current location where they had to have the notches hand carved to receive the next log, then stacked, one by one, logs that weighed hundreds of pounds. It had a stone fire place that was constructed of flat native rocks that had to be collected from all over the area. Then each one hand placed and secured with a mortar material. A single door and a few windows followed by a roof that no longer existed.

I imagine a front porch with a swing that overlooked the beautiful country. The cabin residents enjoying a view that overlooked open grasslands that blended into tall ponderosa pines with deer, elk, and turkey passing through on occasion. This is an area that holds thousands of acres of prime grazing land ripe with fodder to prepare the herd for market; an almost perfect setting in my mind's eye.
(Brett M)

Action Point
Jesus is teaching about money at this time in the book of Matthew. He is speaking of the importance of building your treasure in Heaven and not here on earth. A few years ago, I went through the difficult process of building my own home. Acting as general contractor and subcontracting much of the work myself was not an easy task, especially for someone who has never done it before. When I was done, I had a great sense of accomplishment and pride. But, I also know that someday the house that I built and raised a family in will look just like that cabin; a foundation, a fireplace, and maybe some walls.
I hope that I am successful in storing up treasures in Heaven. Treasures that can never be destroyed or stolen. It is less about the rewards that I may receive in Heaven, but more about wanting that my heart should be in the right place before God.
 
Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Know your taxidermist prior to your hunt. Talk to him about how he wants the animal caped out. He may prefer that you keep the head on ice and allow him to cape out the difficult parts of the face or he may give you instructions on how to do it. Either way understand his expectations and your abilities prior to ever setting a knife to your trophy.