Saturday, February 9, 2013














February 9, 2013   

Today's Photograph . . . . Whatever They Were Makes No Difference   (Tom B) 
Bible Study Verse
Galatians 2:6  
As for those who were held in high esteem-whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not show favoritism-they added nothing to my message. (NIV)

Thoughts
Did your team win at the Super Bowl?

TV, radio sports talk shows, internet, newspapers, and magazines reported, discussed, argued on just about every aspect of the game and players possible.

I even heard one pastor on Super Bowl Sunday begin his sermon with which player was the most "religious". As he put it, "Tim Bebow's outward proclamations of his faith is minor league in comparison to what we were seeing in several of the players."

How about Ray Lewis falling face down on the field after the Ravens' win weeping, shouting, praising and quoting scripture. Or, how about Colin Kaepernick's tattoos? This same pastor commented it was like reading the Bible on Kaepernick's body.

The inside of one of Kaepernick's biceps reads, "My Gift," and the inside of the other reads, "Is My Curse." The top of his right bicep features the word "FAITH". The depiction on his back is of opposing forces, angels and demons, good and bad, Heaven and Hell. On one of his arms, there is Psalm 27:3, "Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear though war break out against me, even then I will be confident." Then on the other arm, "You armed me with strength for battle; you humbled my adversaries before me," Psalm 18:39. 
(Tom B)

Action Point
What do you think about the attention these athletes are drawing to themselves? I struggle with thoughts of whether, especially with Kaepernick's tattooed body, that people may be thinking he's some whacko of sorts. I think the main point of all of this, at least it is for me, is not to be judgmental.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged," Matthew 7:1 (NIV). "Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly," John 7:24 (NIV).

James 4:12 states, "There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you-who are you to judge your neighbor?" (NIV) Good advice for all of us.

I do know, "As for those who were held in high esteem-whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not show favoritism-they added nothing to my message,"  (NIV).

It's not what is on the outside, but what's in the inside.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Although this devotion talks about football players, the same truths hold true on our judgment of fellow outdoorsmen. Great boats, modern fishing tackle, trucks, camo, or hunting equipment doesn't define one as a great fisherman or hunter. Neither does an angler fishing with a cane pole, using a cork and a worm baited hook define someone as not a true fisherman. It's what on the inside that counts.