Saturday, February 2, 2013
















February 2, 2013  

Today's Photograph . . . . Even Though He Had Never Shot An Elk, He Was Content With Enjoying Our Fellowship and God's Creation (Tom L) 
Bible Study Verse
Philippians 4:12
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. (NIV)
 
Thoughts
It was the last day of the cow season in Wyoming. Jeremiah, an elderly friend of mine hadn't filled his tag yet, so we decided to go up to a mountain meadow where I had seen elk that morning.
 
We drove the ATV up to approximately 9000 feet elevation, hid it the brush, and walked a few hundred yards to a ground stand in the pines. It was a beautiful spot, protected from the wind and with good visibility of meadows on both sides.  
 
I set up a bi-pod and took out my rangefinder. We were ready! We had about 45 minutes of shooting time left when Jeremiah said, " You know, I've had a great day and even if I don't get an elk, I've enjoyed being up here with you in the mountains in God's creation. Within seconds after he made that statement, six elk came out of the timber. 
 
Jeremiah hadn't shot over 300 yards, so he was reluctant to shoot. I then said, " We have time, maybe some elk will come out closer to us. Within seconds, fifty elk came out of the timber at 160 yards. After letting the elk spread out a little, he put his sights on a cow aiming high shoulder and double-lunged her. It was Jeremiah's first elk! What a blessing!
(Tom L)

Action Point:
What stands out the most in this hunt was Jeremiah's attitude. Even though he had never shot an elk, he was content with enjoying our fellowship and God's creation. 
 
Paul says that contentment is a feeling that comes from finding sufficiency in Christ.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day:
Before making long distance shots, practice and know where your rifle will shoot. Try researching Kenton Industries for a tactical dial that will put you on target at longer distances. They've worked well for me.