Friday, January 13, 2012












January 13, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . Ring-necked Pheasant (NPS) 
Bible Study Verse Romans 8:21
That the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God. (NIV)

Thoughts
The shotgun barked and the beautiful Ring-necked Pheasant tumbled to the ground.

I was thankful for the bird, the experience, and for the food that we would enjoy on the table. I am thankful for the dogs that pointed him, the farmers who let me hunt their land, the shotgun, the shells--all that were a gift from my Father in Heaven to make the moment so good. I am thankful to my Creator for it all! But I was also very sad. This beautiful creature was dead. It could never fly or walk free again. It was lifeless and broken now. What a tragedy!

Fishermen can practice catch and release, which is recommended unless you are taking some for the table. Hunters cannot do so. If I could somehow catch him and let him go, I would. But sadly, I couldn't. Death is a part of life.
(Jack M)

Action Point
Respect all life. Especially value all human life since God uniquely created humans in His own Image. Respect the life of the game taken in hunting. Outdoorsman are excited and thankful for the fish and game we take. But we should be sad that death is such a necessary part of our experience of life.

Teach others, and especially the young people we influence, to value all life as a gift and a stewardship from God. It is right to be sad that a beautiful creature had to die for us to enjoy the triumph of hunting.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
If you are a fisherman, practice Catch and Release where practical. Never waste fish or game. Never take just the trophy parts of the animal and leave the rest to decay. Donate left over game to a program where it may be processed and given to others who need it or process it and give it away yourself.