Thursday, January 19, 2012












January 19, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . Not Ready For Ice Fishing Yet . . . (MQ)
Bible Study Verses
I Corinthians 9:19-20
Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. (NIV)

Thoughts
There are a lot of ways to fish. Depending on the species of fish you're after, what might work in one area or time of year might not work somewhere else. My kids like to ice fish for yellow perch on a mild winter day on a frozen lake. I prefer to stalk rainbow trout in the creeks with my fly rod once the grasshoppers are active. My dad liked to troll around lakes for hours, dragging a line rig in hopes of catching walleye. When I'm on the job, I might use frame nets and even electricity to catch largemouth bass and other species of fish for conducting lake surveys.
(Ron T)

Action Point
When witnessing to people, it's important to be able to relate to their life and build a rapport with them:
  • When I'm talking to a rancher, I might discuss cattle prices or horses I have known.
  • When talking to a farmer, the price of wheat usually comes up and the weather is     always a good topic.
  • With other game wardens, we will share cases we're investigating or wildlife populations in our districts.
Paul said, "To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some," I Corinthians 9:22 (NIV). If you're fishing for fish or fishing for people, it can be helpful to change your methods to match your audience.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
To reduce cabin fever on winter days, give ice fishing a try. If you go after perch, use a small jig or tear drop and bait with a wax worm. Drop it down to about six inches off the bottom. Perch hang out in schools; so if you're in the right spot, get ready for a lot of action.