Sunday, January 8, 2012












January 7, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . They Need You To Volunteer To Instruct Them (MQ) 
Bible Study Verses
Ephesians 4:11-13
So Christ Himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip His people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. (NIV)

Thoughts
Thirty-one years ago, I took a hunter education class in which my Dad was one of the instructors. Fast forward to just three years ago when I took the course again with my 11-year-old daughter. As the class progressed, I thought to myself, "I could do this. I could teach a class on hunter education, and give back to the sporting community what has been given to me." Then I thought, "Ah! Who's got the time! I'm sure there are plenty of volunteers."

I promptly forgot about it until I received a letter in the mail from The Arizona Game and Fish Hunter Education Department which asked me to do just that. I agreed, and decided to challenge my fellow hunting friends and acquaintances to do the same. The responses were predictable: "I'd love to, but I just don't have the time;" and, "Oh, I've never taken the class myself."

I was disappointed, and wondered, "How could they not want to help?" Then I remembered what I had done initially--Nothing. That's how the world is: "That's not my job. There are plenty of others who will do it." Truth is, if there were enough folks on the payroll to do the job, there would be no need for volunteers.

Flash back about 2,000 years when the Apostle Paul stated that church leaders were to prepare God's people for works of service. It has never been God's plan for the leaders to do all the work for the church; but instead, to train them to do the work together. Not having the gift of evangelism or teaching does not excuse the disciple from reaching out to the lost. As Christians, we are all to help build up the body of Christ.
(Ruben C)

Action Point
Don't wait to be asked to volunteer for works of the ministry. Jesus sent his disciples out two-by-two to reach out to the lost (Mark 6:7), not to have them simply pass out invitations to a church service so the people could listen to Him preach. He tells us to go out and make disciples.

Use this same concept in the secular world. I am certain that most state conservation agencies are looking for volunteers. My experience is that the rural areas are most in need of hunter education instructors. Step up and help build up the body of ethical hunters. Who knows? God may open a door for you to share the Good News with someone as a result.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Take a hunter education class for yourself or as an adult partner to a young would-be hunter. Whether it be for your child, grandchild, or a young member of the community, be a mentor that strives to help carry on the hunting legacy.