Friday, January 6, 2012












January 6, 2012   

Today's Photograph . . . . My Daughter and One Well Earned Dead Javelina(Ruben C) 
Bible Study Verse
Deuteronomy 6:5-7
Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. (NIV)

Thoughts
As I have hunted with my teenage daughter over the last few years, I have looked for opportunities to teach her as much as possible about the game we are pursuing. As we trailed a herd of javelina, I showed her how to count how many pigs were in the herd. As we hunted deer, I pointed out the difference between a buck and a doe track, fresh scat and old. While out at the range, it's not just about marksmanship, but about ethics as well.
"Dad, why do we pick up our brass when everyone else has left his on the ground?"

I have not taught her all I know about hunting, but it's a continuing process. Just as it has been when hunting with my dad the last 35+ years, he's not through teaching me yet. This year my daughter was with my dad when she killed her first mulie buck with a well-placed shot at 209 yards. After the congratulations and hugs, all that he could say was, "I guess she knows what she's doing."

Making a good shot after much range time can be very satisfying, but not nearly as much as seeing your child make the right decision after considering God's wisdom on a matter. They will do this if we put in enough "range time" in God's Word with them. It is not our wisdom that will help our children find God, but revealing enough of the Bible for them to build convictions about salvation on their own.

When I meet God on judgment day, I long to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant." I want to know that I did my best to teach my children about God with as much diligence as I use to teach them about hunting.
(Ruben C)

Action Point
I have most recently learned that when I am with my children in the outdoors, I have a captive audience, and a great opportunity to share the importance of God's wisdom with them.

This tactic also works well with my non-Christian friends. What an opportunity it is to share the word with someone who already respects you as a hunting partner. Remember
I Corinthians 9:22 when Paul said, "To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some," (NIV).

A missed shot is a disappointment; but a missed opportunity to share the Word can have grave consequences!!!

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
There are many opportunities to sharpen your shooting skills on public lands. When taking advantage of the outdoors to target shoot, be sure to respect possible nearby residential areas and be sure to clean up. Even expended brass and clay target debris is considered litter, especially in the eyes of a non-shooter who shares natural resources with us.