Wednesday, January 22, 2014












January  21, 2014   

Today's Photograph . . . . If You're Patient And Give Him Enough Time, He Will (MQ)
Bible Study Verses
Philippians 2:12-13
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed-not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence-continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill His good purpose. (NIV)
 
Thoughts
One morning on a muzzleloader deer hunt, two friends and I discovered the track of what promised to be a toad of a muley. When he dropped into a deep narrow canyon, Randy stayed on his track while Jeff and I skirted around the top for a shot at this buck that would surely spook when he caught Randy's scent. 
 
We crept at least 100 yards along the edge of the canyon and waited while Randy hotly pursued the buck into the head of the canyon. Within minutes we heard a clatter of hooves right beneath us as this monster escaped from under a palo verde tree and scrambled straight up the opposite side of the canyon. 
 
I settled in with my TC Renegade and shooting stick, an ancient saguaro skeleton spine, and readied for the shot that I guessed was at least 125 yards (later "ranged" at 165 yards). 
 
Jeff whispered, "Are you gonna shoot?" 
 
I replied, "When he gets to the top, he's gonna stop." 
 
Sure enough when that big buck topped out on the other side of the canyon, he stopped and looked back for a glimpse of what had spooked him from his noontime nap. 
 
That's when I lowered the boom on him. 
(Ruben C)

Action Point
This particular scenario had never presented itself. I wasn't certain that buck would stop. By faith I believed he would, because my Dad had encouraged me to wait for such opportunities when dealing with a spooked buck. With just my old man's advice ringing in the back of my mind, I waited for the shot. He was right.

Paul told the Philippians don't just obey when I'm around to watch (like anyone would when you're in church), but as well when I'm not. We are called to be Christ like each day of the week, not just on Sunday while in the midst of the pastor and the body of believers. It is not easy. 
 
If we are to win others to Christ, we must set the example and walk as Jesus did. 1 John 2:6 instructs, "Whoever claims to live in Him must live as Jesus did, (NIV). Like I was eventually rewarded with that buck, you too will be rewarded with winning others to Christ. His blood can save us all.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Don't know why they do it, but they do more often than not. A mule deer buck will stop at the top of a ridge and look back if you've spooked him and he doesn't know what "you" are. Save this for the running shot that you're not all that warm and fuzzy about or as a lesson for young hunters. 
 
Worst case scenario if you don't take a chance on an "iffy" running shot, you'll have an opportunity on the other side of the hill at a buck that's settled down. If you're patient and give him enough time, he will.