Wednesday, January 8, 2014

















January 8, 2014   

Today's Photograph . . . . Gambel Quail (NPS)
Bible Study Verse
Mark 14:72
Immediately the rooster crowed the second time. Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows twice you will disown me three times." And he broke down and wept. (NIV) 
 
Thoughts
To me there is no sound like that of a an elk bugling. In the wild, it gives me goose bumps. When I am on a stalk and the bulls are bugling, my adrenaline flows.
When I am quail hunting and the I hear the call of Gambel quail up ahead it has the same effect.
When I was dating my now wonderful bride of 21 years and she would call me on the phone, I would get butterflies when I heard her voice. The same still happens sometimes today, praise God!
(Ruben C)
Action Point
There are sounds, and things not necessarily sounds that that do not bring healthy feelings of joy or excitement, but are instead signs of unhealthy behavior. I can have a tendency to be critical toward other people. When I am critical, I can also be negative (that's the second rooster crow for me). Then I can be in definite sin and denying the love Jesus commands us to have for our brothers, sisters and neighbors (I am disowning Jesus).
Acts 4:10-12, "Then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. Jesus is 'the Stone you builders rejected, which has become the Cornerstone.' Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved," (NIV).
Take encouragement from this passage friends. The same Peter from Mark 14 above who denied Jesus is the same one who spoke these words about our Savior in Acts 4, "...but whom God raised from the dead..." Peter knew the truth, persevered and became bold in his faith instead of staying discouraged and quitting.
We have salvation only through the Christ that was raised from the dead as we too can be raised from our sinful selves.
Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Calling quail can be effective for locating them in the field. A novice like me likes to call back them to after I bust a covey, and I've found they'll hold in the area a little longer. I recently found a link to making a simple clothes pin quail call. It can be a fun project for you and your younger hunting partners.