Wednesday, April 16, 2014















April 15, 2014   

Today's Photograph . . . . He Was Right and Shortly After . . . . (MQ)
Bible Study Verses
Mark 1:14-18
After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. "The time has come," He said. "The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!" As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will send you out to fish for people." At once they left their nets and followed Him. (NIV)

Thoughts
A few years ago, I went on a fishing trip with an older man to a secret little trout lake in northern Arizona. He had been fishing there himself about two weeks prior; and on our first morning, he pointed out a set of well-defined footprints in the mud on the edge of the lake.

"I stood in this exact spot for two days and caught my limit without moving anywhere else," he said, pointing to the footprints. I then watched him give a repeat performance, standing in the same tracks, as I flung lures along a half-mile of shoreline with hit-and-miss success. No matter what I put on the end of my line, I could not get into the trout as he had. 

"Come stand right here," he said, pointing at his foot prints. However, I didn't want to take his suggestion. I wanted to do it my way. Until after a few hours, I reluctantly gave in, followed his lead and stood in the muddy footprints. He was right; and shortly after, I was enjoying myself catching my limit of beautiful Rainbows.
(Ruben C)

Action Point
Some of you undoubtedly know parallel scenarios, right? We men can be so stubborn sometimes ("Sometimes?" my wife says). We want to do things in our own power. In II Corinthians 12:9, Paul states, "But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me, " (NIV).

Boy, to be like the Apostle Paul, just some of the time! The world teaches us that we have to be independent, the strongest, and have all the answers all the time. That is a lie of the world, my brothers. God says different! He opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble (James 4:6); and that is a promise you can count on!

Be honest about your weaknesses and let God take the lead for you in those areas where you are weak. Better to stay "on track" with God than the world, for His reward for your efforts is greater!

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Though not a fly fisherman (five words that will have me persecuted among you purists, I know!), I have found that the trick of tying a fly a few feet past a clear bubble on my ultra-light spinning rig will fool a lot of trout that just don't know any better. My Dad taught me that after I tried and failed with nearly everything else in my tackle box.