Friday, April 12, 2013






















April 12, 2013   

Today's Photograph . . . . They Probably Are Not Going To Be Standing On Street Corners  (NPS)
Bible Study Verses
Exodus 20:8-10
"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. (NIV)

Thoughts
It happened to me during a scouting trip for deer. The day had drawn to a close and I was heading home. I decided to stop in a nearby town for a bite to eat. As I approached the intersection, I noticed a man standing on the side of the road with the usual "will work for food sign." This is when I sometimes have a crisis in my compassion. Trying to overcome it, I stopped and asked the man what kind of work he was willing to do. I knew I could not offer him any, since I didn't even live there. I figured if I received a legitimate offer of landscaping, roofing, etc., I would give him some money.

Although fairly young and apparently healthy, he informed me that in fact he was not willing to work and was just there to get money from passersby. 
(Brett M)

Action Point
I have been a Christian for some time and thought that I knew a little about the Bible. But, do you ever have one of those days when someone reads a verse to you that you have read a million times before and suddenly it has a whole new meaning! 

That happened to me with the above mentioned scripture. Reading it since I was a child, I always heard the command, "Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy." It never dawned on me that it also said, "Six days you shall do all your work." This is commanding not only that I keep the Sabbath holy, but that I also work six days a week. I do not believe this to mean that I have to be in the office or at the fire station six days a week. It includes performing chores around the house, volunteering, etc.

In II Thessalonians 3:10b Paul writes "The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat," (NIV). The important point here is "will not work." It does not include those who cannot work, only those who will not work. 

If you like me have a crisis in your compassion, remember what God says. We need to help the many, many people right now that have been laid off from work, are willing, and are able to work, but cannot find it. They probably are not going to be standing on street corners, but are in your church or in your neighborhood.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
If unable to remove your entire big game animal from the field on the night you harvest, hang the savable portions in a tree at least fifty yards from the gut pile. These two precautions will help prevent meat loss from predation.