Friday, April 5, 2013
















April 5, 2013

Today's Photograph . . . . He Asked If He Could Use The Orange Worm   (Tom B)
Bible Study Verses
I Corinthians 1:27-31
But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things-and the things that are not - to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before Him.  It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, Who has become for us wisdom from God - that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord." (NIV)
 
Thoughts 
The bass club that I belonged to at our church had both anglers who had boats, and those who didn't. The anglers without boats would put their names into a hat before a tournament and the anglers with boats would draw names from the hat to see who would be their co-anglers.

At one of our tournaments I drew a budding new angler . . . meaning he hadn't been indoctrinated yet on the fine art of the sport. He was fishing a plastic worm; so was I. We were trying different locations throughout the day, and every place we stopped he caught fish on the same worm. I can't say I did, even though I switched off trying different lengths, colors and styles.

Finally, after the fish had really mangled the worm he was using, he had to switch off to a different worm. I had a 10 inch, bright florescent orange worm in my tackle box. I don't know why I carried it in my tackle box because I knew it wouldn't catch fish.

He asked if he could use the orange worm. "Sure, why not, give it a try," I replied. Guess what - he caught fish with it, while I sat there frustrated. 
(Tom B)

Action Point 
The Lord taught me a life lesson through my fishing partner . . . actually he taught me a couple of lessons.
He gave me a douse of humility. I thought that I, the experienced bass angler, would be teaching him how to catch fish. It was the other way around; he was teaching me. It was really bad when he chose the cast-off orange plastic worm and caught fish. "God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong," I Corinthians 1:27b (NIV). 
 
Paul, in Romans 12:3 says, "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you," (NIV). 
 
The second lesson was he caught fish with only one worm. I believed you had to have the latest and greatest in fishing tackle. He had one worm.

The same in my life, everyone's life, we only need one thing in our tackle box of life - Jesus Christ. "It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, Who has become for us wisdom from God - that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption," I Corinthians 1:30 (NIV).
Sportsmen's Tip of the Day 
Normally, choosing the right color in a plastic worm is governed by water color and what the bass may be feeding at that particular time of the year. But, sometimes a contrast in color can inspire reaction strikes. Good examples are worms with a chartreuse, pink, or yellow tails.